Friday, March 25, 2011

Character Traits with SpongeBob SquarePants

Who lives in the hallway on the right? SpongeBob SquarePants!

 I blogged a week or so ago about teaching character traits. While introducing them, I was inspired by a student's comment to do a SpongeBob lesson. I have several SpongeBob books that stay in the "Just for Fun" reading tub, but they came in super handy to teach character traits.

      We stared the lesson by voting on a book to read, and my FirstGrader SmartiePants picked the perfect one.  
It showed SpongeBob as a hard worker and good friend who can get a little annoyed at times.

After reading, each student wrote a character trait on SpongeBob.   Here are a few examples of what they came up with.  


"Nice Dresser"  :)
"Funny"
"Respectful"
"Good"






"Sponge"
"Jellyfisher"  <--Haha.  I love it!






Then I gave each student a sentence strip and asked them to write the definition of character traits.  This SmartiePants almost wrote  everything, word for word, that I had been telling them all week.


This was so much fun and they loved it!

Students are almost finished with the rough drafts of their writings about SpongeBob.  I still need to make a writing mat for their final draft.  I will post a copy of that and some of their writings when they finish.  My kids are a hoot!

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! I blogged about teaching about characters, too, and my secret weapon is Mo Willems' Pigeon!

    http://workshopclassroom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!!!
    I just read your comment on our blog and had to check out how you use SpongeBob with your kiddos! Awesome idea! We also use character traits with Santa and Arthur too!!!! :)
    How fun!
    What is your email address? Can you email it to us?
    teachers@lessonplansos.com

    ReplyDelete