Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Moon # 3

Phases of the Moon

        After learning that we can only see the part of the Moon that the Sun is shining on, the students created models of the Moon's Phases.
     The first model we did was a guided activity using black construction paper and white circles.

Instructions for guided moon phases activity.


            The second model the students did was done in groups of two with very little guidance from me.  They had to draw the Earth in the middle of their plate and then make Oreos look like the different phases of the Moon and put them in the correct order around the Earth.  As the students completed the models  they had to tell me about them.  I graded them according to a rubric.


     

1 comment:

  1. Moon phases is not in our 1st grade curriculum, but I absolutely love the Oreo cookie idea. I think next year, I'll work it into our time unit.

    ReplyDelete