Monday, April 30, 2012

Just call me...

The once a month blogger!  I had to get posted before May 1st.  That's right, MAY!!!  Anyway, here is a big ole pot of random for ya...

My End of the Year Classroom awards on TPT have been updated.  I added some new awards and took off the year, so you can use them again and again.  Click the pic to get your awards.

Moving on...
Our curriculum map had us doing plants FOR...EVER...  So I tried to come up with something fun for the kiddos to do with plants.  Here is a little poem I wrote and some Instagram/PicFrame pictures from when we did the activity...

This is what I used for 20 students:
2 large packages of shredded lettuce
1 package of shredded carrots
1 pack of cherry tomatoes
1 bottle of ranch dressing
20 bowls
20 forks
4 spoons (for ranch)
4 cups (for ranch)
4 plates  (to put the "plants" on)

My firsties LOVED it!!!


Finally, The Lorax stuff.   I know, I know.  I'm totally behind on the times, but maybe you can use it next year, or maybe your have an interdependence lesson coming up, and your kids loved The Lorax so much, you've just got to revisit it.  

We got to go to the movies to see Dr. Seuss' The Lorax after reading the book.  We worked it into our Science and Social studies standards.  This is what our first grade display looks like now that we are all finished:
The students created their very own Thneeds and wrote an advertisement to get people to buy them.

We also did a lesson on interdependence using The Lorax...
 And compared Truffula Trees to Real Trees...
Click {here} to get all the freebies.

I am hoping that this up coming school year I will be on the blogging track, and will no longer be a once a month blogger.  We are on that downhill slope to summer vacation!  How many days do you have left?

13 comments:

  1. Love the Eating Plants activity and poem. I bet the kids just loved it!
    Connie:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Eating Plants poem. We did that around Easter. The Easter Bunny brought us a package with His favorite plants to eat. We then made an edible flower. I would love for you to check it out!


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the Lorax stuff! What a super cute display!
    Christie :)
    First Grade Fever

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh.My.Goodness! I am LOVING the eating plants poem/activity! With so many allergies in my class this year, this would actually be something we COULD do! Awesome! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had more food allergies in class this year than ever!!!! Chocolate, peanut butter, strawberries, eggs, fish, but luckily no one is allergic to carrots, tomatoes, or lettuce! :)

      Delete
  5. So cute! I love your blog!

    Come visit me at
    totallyterrificteachingtools.blogspot.com

    Lohren Nolan

    ReplyDelete
  6. omgg such a cute poem... im your newest follower =) drop by

    Just Wild About Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute!! Thanks for following me!! I'm your newest follower now - hooray for TX buddies!
    Nicole
    Rowdy in Room 300

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awe, I'm sorry you didn't make it to First Monday this weekend. It was SO hot! I will be teaching in Midland, TX. I can't wait! I'm so glad to have found another Texas teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing!
    You has inspired me! And I Like This

    SOAL UTS Semester 1/ Ganjil KTSP 2015

    ReplyDelete